Eyelash Curler Guide
Help On Your Quest For The Ultimate Design
The eyelash curler is truly one impressive contraption. I can only imagine what the prototype was like though (and the poor brave guinea pigs who tested them out in the name of beauty ...I am sure a few tears were shed over missing eyelashes).
These days, there are quite a few variations in the mechanical design of curling eyelashes and bring new meaning to the word 'contraption'.
I am not about to tell you which design is best for you since it really comes down to your face shape, the length of lashes you were blessed with and some experimenting with the designs available...But I know you will agree that your eyelashes are VERY PRECIOUS and cannot afford to be risked, SO here is a little eyelash curler guidance on things you should consider in their design.
Five Points To Remember On Your Quest
I have tried a couple of brands with the appearance of the Shu Uemura original metal tong style, however, to my disappointment, they had scratchy unfinished metal posts and operated at an odd angle to my brow bone. Imprint and scratch should not be part of using a curler. Which brings me to my second point...
There are a handful of eyelash curlers out there made by 'prestige
brands' with a
higher price point, however, they deliver you no better design quality
than some reliable drugstore brand like Tweezerman.
*Exception to this is the one made by Shu Uemura (which is a pro favorite, award winning). Because of its merits, this prestige brand curler, can support a more expensive price point.
One more recent minus experience has
been the new harder plastic 'sponge' and the disappearance of sponge
refill packs you could purchase separately. Too many brands, have
one extra replacement sponge, and when you are done with it, you
have to buy another
My sister swears by her little plastic, apparently 'user friendly', curler for lashes. I found it a little awkward (a case of being *unfamiliar with the mechanism and how much pressure is needed to achieve the desired curl) but reasonably effective.
(I have since educated myself on the intricacy of design details
involved in curling ones lashes.)
A Handful of the Latest And Greatest Eyelash Curler Designs
The Pro Favorite:
Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler- Original tong style and the top of the class, multiple award winner, and pro favorite.
- Calculated shape and size of frame length and ergonomic handles ensure stability and control
- The upgraded silicone pad in a new "mushroom" shape provides a protective, stay-put edge for improved safety and optimum curl.
- Upgraded patented hinge with precise engineering applies perfect amount of pressure on eyelashes
- The calculated shape, size of frame length and ergonomic handles ensure stability and control, while the curved angle suits all eye shapes."
"when to replace...
the shu uemura curler will perform consistently until the 2 silicone rubber pads wear down.
with daily use, one silicone rubber pad will last approximately 3 months. After the accompanying refill is used, please replace the curler with a new one to assure maximum precision and to avoid damage to the eyes or the lashes. Please note replacement pads are not available for purchase."
Information source: shuuemura.com
Shu Uemura Lash Curler
The Ergonomic/ User Friendly Design:
Tarte "Picture Perfect"
- Ergonomic design ensures an easy and painless curl with every use.
- The purple silicone pad makes it easy to see every lash while using the tool, and allows for the appropriate amount of pressure to curl lashes naturally.
- The curved angle of the eyelash curler suits all eye shapes without pinching or crimping
- The easy grip handles are ergonomically designed for a more comfortable feel.
Tarte "Picture Perfect" Lash Curler
Sephora "Curl It "
- "This tiny eyelash curler provides the perfect curl to even the most stubborn lashes.
- The unique, pinch-free, compact design makes it a handy, go-anywhere tool that you won't be able to live without.
- Includes one replacement pad."
Information source: sephora.com
Sephora Collection "Curl It" Eyelash Curler
Innovative Technology :
Sephora Brand Professional Heated Lash Curler
- "What it is:
An innovative heated lash curler."
- "What it does: This can't-live-without lash innovation is perfect for curling stubborn straight lashes anytime, anywhere."
- "What else you need to know: Simply turn on, wait 15 seconds, place the comb directly onto lash line above lashes, gently lift and comb lashes into the desired shape (as you would with a mascara brush), hold for one or two seconds, then release. Repeat across lash line until the desired effect is achieved."
Collection "Curl It"
Information source: sephora.com
Tweezerman Professional Classic Lash Curler
- Extra sturdy metal construction, expertly crafted, to create beautifully enduring curl
- The silicone lash pad is thick and round to form a more intense curl without ever creasing lashes
- Free Refill Pad
- Refill Pads sold separately
- Lifetime Guarantee
Tweezerman Classic Lash Curler
When available, make sure you check out product reviews because they can be very 'eye opening' too and ultimately help you with your decision making.
Curling Technique Tip:
For rounder, more natural looking lash curl, top celebrity makeup artist, Billy B uses a technique that moves up the lash from the base with the curler, and places curve in several places on the lashes, not just one squeeze, creating a rounder more natural looking curl to the lash.
( Don't ask!)